Shitala Satam 2023: Importance Of Observing Vrat And Puja Vidhi
Shitala Satam is the day dedicated to Goddess Shitala. It is mostly celebrated in western India, such as Gujarat, Rajasthan, and Uttar Pradesh. Shitala Satam is equivalent to the customs of ‘Basoda’ and ‘Sheetala Ashtami,’ which are witnessed in northern India after Holi. Shitala Satam arrives the week ahead of Krishna Janmashtami. Hence, per the western calendar, it is celebrated in the month of August. Devotees keep a day-long fast to please the Lord and organise various pujas at home. Now you get the brief, let us throw more light on this day.
Date and Time for Shitala Satam 2023
|Muhurats||Date and Time|
|Shitala Satam||Tuesday, September 5, 2023|
|Shitala Satam Puja Muhurat||15:46 to 18:28|
|Saptami Tithi Begins||On Sep 05, 2023 at 15:46|
|Saptami Tithi End||On Sep 06, 2023 at 15:37|
Importance of Worshipping Maa Shitala
Shitala Satam is dedicated to Goddess Shitala. According to Hindu mythology, the Goddess is carrying a voyage and a dustpan in her hands. Multiple folklore suggests that the enhancing risk of Mata Sheetla is home to approximately 33 crore Gods and Goddesses. Shitala Satam procedures are observed by communities, notably in Gujarat, in order to get their wishes fulfiled. Goddess Shitala is said to protect her followers from illnesses such as measles and chickenpox. Worshipping Maa Shitala may help you get recovery from bad health.
Life is not moving the way you want to it to be? Book personalised live puja for the blessing of the divine diety.
Shitala Satam Puja Vidhi
- On Shitala Satam, devotees wake up early in the morning and take a bath before starting the rituals.
- Some of them also visit the riverbank, where they place the idol of Sheetala Mata and later worship the Goddess. The idol is painted and set on a red cloth after a holy dip in the water.
- On this day, devotees also recite Sheetla Ashtakam together, along with other scriptures. Shodashopachara is sixteen numerous forms of concessions used in the puja.
- On this auspicious occasion, people don’t even cook fresh foods on the day. In other words, they didn’t even light up their Chula. Thus, they prepare food on the previous day, Randhan Chhath, the subsequent day of Sashti (the 6th day of the lunar month’s dwindling sequence). Cooked meals and ghee are among the varieties. In certain areas, untreated wheat substituted with molasses (gur) is also used to light lamps (diya).
- Devotees light up the diyas and the incense sticks in front of Goddess Shitala.
- Elderly people of the house recite Vrat Katha to appease the Goddess Shitala.
So you got how to appease Maa Shitala, now its the turn of your Kundali for the favourable solutions. Get a free janampatri report to know in detail.
Shitala Satam Vrat Katha
According to mythology, there was a faithful and honest king, Indradyumna. The king got married to a girl, Pramila. Shubhakari, the prosperous couple’s granddaughter, was married to Gunvan, the prince of a neighbouring region. The royal palace of Indradyumna observed Shitala Satam vrat with equal passion for many years. Shubakari then finally returned to meet her mom on the occasion of Shitala Satam. She and her friends went to a lake to witness the Shitala Satam Vrat. Soon, they sought help as they lost each other.
Later, one lady helped them, but she also asked to keep Shitala Satam Vrat. Shitala Mata got impressed and blessed Shubhakari with a boon. On their way back to the kingdom, Shubhakari met a poor Brahmin family, who were in deep trouble as one of its members had died due to a snake bite. Witnessing such things, Shubhakari prayed to Shitla Mata and using her boon, she brought the dead Brahmin back to life. Hence, that’s how people understood the significance of observing the Shitla Satam Vrat.
Shitala Satam Vrat Ritual
Observing a day-long fast on the day of Sheetla Saptami is done in almost every house. Since it is a significant step in Shitala Satam, so, women refrain from cooking fresh items and recall Sheetala Mata on this day. Below are the steps one must follow to keep Sheetala Satam Vrat.
- Prepare the food items on the previous day.
- On Shitala Satam and perform puja in front of the Goddess’s idol
- Begin your fast after concluding your puja.
- You should only consume previously cooked food.
- Also, reheating the food should not be done.
- Moreover, people observing Vrat should not light up fire except for diyas.
Benefits Of Sheetala Saptami Vrat
Although there are many advantages of observing Shitala Satam vrat, the main one is that it is very advantageous for health. Shitala Mata improves health issues, and you can get blessed with long-term good health. A person suffering from any health disease may get recovered from it by the grace of the Goddess. Diseases such as smallpox, chickenpox, or measles can be removed with the help of the Goddess’s grace. Children suffering from any major health issues may get rid of it.
Therefore, women keep fast for the good health of their children. Also, people living in urban areas visit a nearby temple and praise Mata Sheetla to pray for their better health.
Apart from Shitala Maata, take a resort in astrology, and get to know how your health will do in future? Read a free health and wellness horoscope 2023 for better clarity.
So, it is clear so far that whoever remembers Shitala Mata by observing the fast may get the blessings of the Goddess. With this, we wish you a happy Sheetala Saptami in advance. May the goddess keeps blessing you and your family.