Vamana Jayanti 2023: The Birth Anniversary Of Fifth Avatar Of Lord Vishnu
Vamana Jayanti is celebrated to honour the fifth avatar of Lord Vishnu. This day arrives on Dwadashi Tithi of Shukla Paksha during the Bhadrapada month, as per the Hindu calendar. On this day, Lord Vamana took his birth and therefore, it is also known as Vamana Dwadashi. We celebrate it in August or September. There is an interesting tale behind the 5th avatar of Lord Vishnu. So, what are we waiting for? Let’s find it out.
Date And Time For Vamana Jayanti 2023
- Date: 26 September 2023
- Tithi Timings:
- Dwadashi Tithi Begins: 05:00 AM on Sep 26, 2023
- Dwadashi Tithi Ends: 01:45 AM on Sep 27, 2023
- Shravana Nakshatra Begins: 11:55 AM on Sep 25, 2023
- Shravana Nakshatra Ends: 09:42 AM on Sep 26, 2023
Significance Of Vamana Jayanti
Lord Vamana is Lord Vishnu’s fifth incarnation and is regarded to be one of his manifestations. The Vamana incarnation of Lord Vishnu is mentioned in great depth in Indian mythological literature such as Shrimudagvad Purana and Vishnu Purana. It describes Lord Vamana’s majesty.
According to legend, Vamana was born to battle Bali-the Asura ruler. Lord Vishnu chose Lord Vamana as his incarnation to safeguard the Devas from the Asuras. On the Shukla Paksha of Bhadrapad month, according to the Hindu calendar, he was born from the womb of Aditi, Sage Kashyap’s wife.
Vamana Jayanti Story
The ancient story revolves around Samudra Manthan. The Gods defeated the entire demon army and became immortal. At that time, King Mahabali lost all his wealth and kingdom. He received advice from his Guru to perform penance to win over Lord Indra. King Mahabali did as the Guru suggested to him. He won the battle against Lord Indra and became the King of the whole universe.
Thereafter, upon the request of Lord Indra, Lord Vishnu agreed to take the Vamana avatar so that he could teach the lesson to the King. Soon, Lord Vishnu incarnated as the son of sage Kashyapa and his wife Aditi and was popularly known as Vamana. Lord Vamana as an ordinary Brahmin boy, came to the King and said that he too wanted something from the King. He further said that he does not wish to have wealth or luxurious items, but he wants three steps of land.
As soon as the King agreed to accept his wishes, Lord Vamana took the giant form, and he became bigger than the planet Earth itself. Vamana placed his first foot on the entire planet earth and said, ‘My first step covered the earth and therefore, the entire is now mine.’ With his second step, he covered the entire heaven and claimed his ownership as well.
King Mahabali realised that the Vamana was none other than Lord Vishnu Himself. Vamana then asked where to keep his third step. King replied to put it on his head. This is how the Lord defeated the King and restored peace in heaven and on Earth.
Gain peace and prosperity by performing personalised live Vishnu Puja.
Celebrations On Vamana Jayanti
On this day, people donate rice and curd to the animals, and it is regarded as highly auspicious. Devotees also observe a fast for the day and perform puja and other rituals to please Lord Vishnu. They also recite Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram and other mantras.
Devotees offer incense sticks, lamps, Nevada and flowers to the idol of Lord Vamana. They also remember how Lord Vishnu defeated the King. They offer Bhog to the deity and later distribute it to the other devotees and family members. They worship Lord Vishnu with full dedication and devotion to get his divine blessings.
Vamana Jayanti Rituals
- Wake up early in the morning and start preparing for Vishnu Puja.
- Dress up with tidy clothes and being the rituals by placing Lord Vamana’s idol in the temple of your home.
- Place a pitcher in your pooja room or at the place where you will be performing the pooja for Vamana Jayanti.
- Make offerings of all those things dear to the Lord Vishnu and recall him in your prayers.
- One should also perform Panchopachara or Shodashopachara Puja.
- Recite the below mantra to please the Lord
- Om Trivikramaya Vidhmahe
- Viswaroopaya cha Dheemahe
- Thanno Vamana Prachodayath Om
- If possible, observe fast for a day and avoid eating food items.
- Organise yagna to please Lord Vamana and listen to the story of Lord Vamana.
- Donate food, grains, money, and clothes to the Brahmins and poor people. Or keep honey near God’s idol for the blessings of a healthy body and mind.
- Feed cows with bananas and jaggery to achieve success in life.
- Light lamps in a Vishnu temple offer garlands to reduce the issues in relationships.
One more way, you can strengthen you relationships by knowing what issues might come ahead. For that, read free love and relationship horoscope 2023.
This day signifies the victory of Lord Vamana over the cruel King. Also, it marks the victory of good over evil forces. So, devotees of Lord Vishnu worship him with a pure heart and recall how he ended the existence of the King. May Lord Vishnu shower his blessings on you. Wishing a happy Vamana Jayanti to all our readers.
Lord Vishnu’s blessings are always with you; however, astrology is always there for you to help in times of crisis. Talk to astrologers for guidance.