Shani Jayanti 2022: Date, Tithi timings, important details of Shani Dev and its Significance
Shani Jayanti is a festival that holds great importance in Hinduism. The festival has a major significance from the perspective of Astrology. It is believed to be the birthday of the Ruler of the planet Saturn – Lord Shani. In Hindu Scriptures, each day of the week is dedicated to one of the Hindu Gods or Goddesses. Likewise, Saturday is believed to be the dedicated day for Lord Shani.
He is believed to be the most powerful of Navagraha (nine planets).
Significance of Shani Jayanti:
Let us know more about why is this festival considered so important:
- Shani Jayanti is the birth anniversary of Lord Shani, the son of Lord Surya (famously known as Chhaya-Putra-Shani).
- The festival is celebrated on the dark moon night (Amavasya) of the Vaishakh month of the Hindu calendar.
- He’s considered to be the ruler of the planet Saturn (known as Shandev).
- Being the greatest of all Navagraha (nine planets), Lord Shani holds great importance in human life.
- He’s meant to punish humankind, who has become very egoistic because of their wealth and acquaintances.
- As this punishment lasts for the long seven and a half years, it is known as Shani Sade Sati.
- The devotees of Lord Shani (especially suffering from his famous punishment known as Shani Sade Sati) observe a fast on this day to please the Lord and get his blessings for a good fortune in life.
Are you facing Sade Sati? Overcome the Malefic Effects of Saturn! Talk to Experts
Important Dates and Pooja Timings in 2022
- Shani Jayanti: Monday, May 30, 2022
- Amavasya Tithi Begins At: May 29, 2022, 02:54 pm
- Amavasya Tithi Ends At: May 30, 2022, 04:59 pm
Rituals Followed on Shani Dev Birthday:
On this day, a special Shani Shanti Pooja and path is organized, which is usually performed in Navagraha or Shani Temple.
- During the course of this pooja, the idols of Lord Shani and his ride, the Vulture are bathed with honey, Mustard oil with mole seeds, sweat curd, and Gangajal is offered one after the other.
- Some of the devotees, according to their sentiments, offer a necklace made of nine gemstones (Navratna haar).
- Devotees do Shani Pooja, devotees recite Shani Stotra, Shani Chalisa or Shanti Path for welcoming peace and joy into their lives.
Also, on the auspicious day of Shani Jayanti, reciting the Shani dev mantra will reduce the malefic effects of Saturn on your sign.
ऊँ शन्नोदेवीर- भिष्टयऽआपो भवन्तु पीतये शंय्योरभिस्त्रवन्तुनः।
- On this day, it is said to be very fruitful to donate things like black clothes, black mole, black lentils, and mustard oil.
- After reciting the Stotra and praying to the Lord, people perform Aarti and offer Prasad.
Some More Important Details of Shani Dev:
According to some of the Hindu Scriptures, Lord Shani is portrayed as a black-figure who rides on a chariot and moves very slowly through heaven.
- His figure includes a sword, a bow, some arrows, an axe, and a trident.
- He rides on a vulture or a crow.
- Ruler– Lord Brahma
- Colour – Black
- Taste – Astringent
- Body parts ruled by Saturn – Muscles
- Number – 8
- Metals – Iron, Lead, and Tin.
Importance of Shani in Vedic Astrology:
Being one of the Navagraha planets and the most powerful of all, Lord Shani has a great influence over one’s life as the planetary movements lead to introduce different changes in one’s lifestyle. Therefore, Shani Jayanti has importance in Vedic Astrology also.
Also, Saturn (Lord Shani) is considered to be very dangerous by many people in society. In fact, people are scared of the curse stories, which are very often heard and are prevalent among the people. However, this is not a complete case. Rather people only look at the one-sided story and make conclusions.
According to Astrology, Saturn itself is a slow planet, which implies that it impacts the lifestyle in such a way that one only gets success and accomplishments only through hard work and determination. This means people will accomplish what they want, but they’ll need to put some hard steps and be disciplined.
Also, it is not that people only get cursed or suffer from bad experiences but being the god of discipline, the end result is always decided based on one’s present as well as past deeds.
It is also believed that Shani affects a person very adversely if it gets placed at the very wrong place in one’s Kundli or horoscope as one has to suffer from various problems, struggles and stresses which can lead to many unfavourable circumstances in one’s life.
According to Vedic Astrology, Lord Shani’s presence is fruitful if it is placed on the 2nd, 7th, 3rd, 10th and 11th house of the horoscope and at the same time if it gets positioned at the 4th, 5th and 8th house in the horoscope, then it will create a very problematic situation.
Know the Impacts of Saturn in Your Kundli, Get Free Janampatri!
He is also known by many names mentioned in the Hindu scripture “Shani Sahastranaam”. Some of them are Manda, Yama, Chhayasunu, Chhayaputra, Kshrushang, Kapilaksh, Neel etc.
According to Vedic Astrology, every individual has to face some or the other bad times in his life. But when Shani is passing through the 12th, 1st, or 2nd house from the placement of the Moon, the natives are passing through Shani Sade Sati. In this period, one has to face mere challenges and hardships.
However, as per Vedic Astrology, it is not necessary that Shani will always bring pains and sufferings in life. But also if he blesses someone, the person will have an immense sense of success and prosperity in life, especially in terms of career and will be free from mental disease and liver diseases.
What are the Effects of Saturn (Shani)?
One should recite the Shani mantra 23000 times, so Lord Shani may get appeased, blessing him with success or some relief in his life.
- As discussed above, Shani has a very big influence on one’s life. It takes two and a half years to shift from one zodiac sign to another, which is also known as a Saturn transit. When Saturn is passing through the 4th or 8th house from the Moon’s placement, it is called “Dhaiya” in Vedic astrology.
- Shani’s Sade Sati is for the period of seven and a half years, while Dhaiya is for two and a half years.
- Whether it be Sade Sati or Dhaiya, it all depends from person to person on how he goes through it. If he has patience, then he might not face many challenges during this period. Also, he will come out as a responsible, patient, mature, and stronger individual.
- On the other hand, being the elder brother of Yama, if Shani enters into a wrong house of a person who has reached a very older age and has several diseases, then Shani might do the work of his younger brother leading to the end of a person’s life.
What if you found out that you’re facing similar kinds of problems?
- You should position Shani Yantra at your worship place and recite Shani Chalisa daily.
- Make a mixture of jaggery and sesame seeds and fill ants holes or spread it over a part of the land along with the Shani Yantra pooja on the occasion of Shani Jayanti.
- Chant Puranokta Mantra during the day time, which is as follows:
“ Nilanjan Samaabhaasam Raviputram Yamaagrajam,
Chhaya Maartand Sambhootam Tam Namami Shanaishcharam.”