Ashadha Purnima Vrat is observed on the day of Ashadha Purnima in the month of Ashadha. This month is the fourth month as per the Hindu calendar and according to the gregorian calendar, this month comes between July-August. Most of the time Purnima is associated with an important festival. How there are 12 months in a year, similarly there are 12 different festivals every month on the day of Purnima.
Purnima signifies birth, rebirth, perfection, abundance, creation, and so much more. Devoted Hindus generally have a tradition of fasting on this day in the name of Lord Vishnu and Goddess Laxmi. Fasting on this auspicious day not only cleanses your body but also your soul. The devotees who observe a fast on this day acquire immense peace of mind and various other benefits. The Purnima Vrat is observed either on the day of Purnima or a day before Purnima which is called Chaturdashi, depending upon the beginning of the Purnima Tithi.
Also Read: Purnima 2022 Dates
Significance of Ashadha Purnima
Purnima has religious as well as scientific significance. It is believed that many great events took place on the day of Purnima, like the Matsya avatar of Lord Vishnu, the incarnation of Subrahmanya, Sri Buddha, and so on.
On this auspicious day, the devotees perform some special pujas like the Satya Narayan Puja because of the fact that worshipping on this day has great results on the Devotee.
Furthermore, from a scientific point of view, this day has significant positive effects on our body and mind. Some of the positive effects of the Ashadha Purnima Vrat are as follows:
- Balances metabolism
- Increases stamina
- Controls acidity
- Cleans the digestive system.
Additionally, depending on the different phases of the Moon, the changing gravitational force of the Moon can have an impact on our body as well, so to prevent that, fasting also helps you keep your body stable.
How to observe the Gopadam Vrat on Ashadha Purnima?
According to Hindu holy texts, there are special rituals for keeping the Ashadha Purnima Gopadam Vrat. Let us take a look at what they are.
Here are the rituals that must be performed in order to successfully observe the Gopadam Vrat:
- Wake up early in the morning, take a bath thoroughly in order to cleanse yourself, and put on clean clothes.
- Pray or recite the name of Lord Vishnu throughout the day.
- Reading or listening to the Satyanarayan Katha is also considered highly auspicious on this day.
- Meditate with the thoughts of Lord Vishnu sitting with his consort Goddess Lakshmi on the Garuda vehicle.
- Light up the sacred earthen lamps, Deepa, incense sticks, and then offer flowers and Prashada to Lord Vishnu.
- After praying to Lord Vishnu, devotees should organise “Bhandara” which is a free meal served to the people invited to the temple or a sacred place.
- It is also advisable to do charitable work on this day, according to your convenience.
- It is also believed that worshipping Goddess Lakshmi under a Peepal tree on the morning of this day brings great wealth and prosperity.
- The devotee observing the Gopadam Vrat should also seek blessings from cows after feeding them given the fact that cows are considered sacred animals in Hinduism and are associated with Gods.
Attain peace and prosperity in life by performing personalised live Vishnu Puja.
How to observe the Ashadha Purnima Vrat?
The devotees that are fasting on Purnima have to fast for a full day and worship Lord Vishnu. The fast generally begins when the sun rises on the day of Purnima and sometimes on Chaturdashi, the day before Purnima, and ends in the evening when the full moon rises.
- To start your day on the Ashadha Purnima, devotees should wake up before sunrise and take a bath to get ready for the auspicious day ahead.
- The devotees should strictly fast all day without any food and water.
- Those who cannot keep such a strict fast but still want to participate can take one meal comprising of fruits and milk.
- The devotees should strictly avoid cereals, pulses, and salted food during the Ashadha Purnima Vrat.
- The devotee can end the fast only after witnessing the full moon and offering prayers.
The Significance of The Satyanarayan Puja on Ashadha Purnima
Satya Narayan Puja is a ceremony dedicated to Lord Vishnu and anyone can perform the Satya Narayan puja on any day without having to wait for a tithi but it is considered highly auspicious to perform it on the full moon day i.e the Purnima.
On the day of the Purnima, the devotees start off the day by cleaning the house and decorating it because it is believed that a clean and decorated place attracts positivity, and the other devotees who will visit your house will feel happy and positive.
And of course, you must have heard this phrase – “Cleanliness is Godliness”, so the significance of cleaning the house before commencing a sacred ceremony is mainly to spread light, happiness and positivity.
Performing Satya Narayan puja also enhances the effect of the Ashadha Purnima Vrat and helps the devotees to share the blessings with others. Therefore, performing the Satyanarayan Puja on this day is considered highly auspicious.
How would be your upcoming days? Get a free astrology yearly report 2022 for gaining accurate predictions.
Benefits of the Gopadam Vrat on Ashadha Purnima
- It is believed that by observing the Gopadam Vrat with absolute sincerity and following all the rituals properly, one can obtain the blessings of Lord Vishnu and all the worldly pleasures and peace.
- According to the Hindu religion, the devotees who observe the Gopadam Vrat can have all their wishes come and obtain salvation (Moksha), which is the ultimate goal of life in the Sanatan Dharma.
- Those born in Uttarashada or Poorvashadha are advised to donate to charity and meditate on the day of Ashadha Purnima. It can immensely help them find spiritual well-being and solace in every aspect of their lives.
- Finally, performing the Saraswati Puja on this day can also result in great benefits and fruitful results, especially to students and anyone else learning a new skill.
Now you know all about the Ashadha Purnima and we hope that you follow all the advised rituals to obtain the best results. As we have deduced from the article, the Ashadha Purnima Vrat is a very auspicious and significant fast for the devotees wishing to maintain positivity in their homes.
Are you okay? If not, talk to astrologers for the solution. First consultation is FREE.