Paush Purnima refers to the full moon of the “Shukla Paksha” in the month of Pausha, as per the Hindu Calendar. It is a significant day for Hindus and is celebrated all over the country by fasting, worshipping and conducting the Satyanarayan Katha. On the day of the Paush Purnima, the moon is visible in its complete size, and it is said that bathing in holy water, donating to the poor and offering “Prasada” to Suryadev on this day shall rid a person of all their sins and guide them towards the path of salvation. A full moon marks the day of Purnima, and according to the Hindu calendar, there are a total of twelve Purnimas in a year. However, the Pausha Purnima and the Magha Purnima are given the most importance. Below, there is a comprehensive detail about Paush Purnima in 2022.
Also Read: Purnima 2022 Dates
Paush Purnima 2022: Date & Time
|Paush Purnima 2022||Date & Timings|
|Paush Purnima 2022 Date||Monday, 17 Jan 2022|
|Purnima Tithi Begins||17 Jan, 2022 at 03:18 am|
|Purnima Tithi Ends||18 Jan, 2022 at 05:17 am|
The Significance of Paush Purnima 2022
The Paush Purnima is a significant day for the Hindu religion. The day marks the end of winter and the beginning of the Magha month, and even the “Maha Kumbh Mela” falls during this period.
The Paush Purnima is an opportunity for devotees to end their inner darkness and follow the path of enlightenment, thus attaining salvation. According to the Hindu religion, taking a bath in the holy water at a Hindu pilgrimage place on this auspicious day rids a person of all their sins and helps them attain “Moksha.”
It is believed that a person who wakes up early in the morning on this day and bathes in the holy water as he offers his prayers to the rising sun shall be forgiven for all the sins he has committed in his past lives and be entitled to salvation.
Have A Look: Maghi Purnima 2022
The Fasting Procedure on the Pausha Purnima (Vrat and Pooja Vidhi)
On the auspicious occasion of the Pausha Purnima, devotees all over the country bathe in the holy water of the Ganges, make donations and fast in an attempt to impress Suryadev and attain ultimate salvation. Mentioned below is the procedure to follow on the day of the Paush Purnima to impress Suryadev.
- Take a vow to fast throughout the day before taking a bath in the holy water.
- Pray to the Lord of Oceans, Varun dev.
- Now bathe in a holy river.
- Offer holy water to Suryadev while chanting his mantras.
- After the bath, pray to Lord Krishna by offering Prasada to the Lord.
- Donate food to a needy person or a Brahmin.
- Also, donate woollen clothes, blankets, and jaggery to the poor.
Need peace and spiritual grace in your life? Book Personalised Live Puja.
Rituals During Paush Purnima 2022
Let us look at some of the rituals that are followed on the day of the Paush Purnima.
- Bathing is the most important ritual on the day of Paush Purnima. Devotees wake up very early in the morning and take a bath in the holy rivers at sunrise as they offer ‘Argha’ to the rising sun.
- After bathing, devotees must worship the “Shiva Linga” with water and meditate near the “Shiva Linga” in order to absorb the spiritual energy.
- Devotees are known to organise a Satyanarayan Katha on this day as they fast and pray to the Lord Vishnu and offer Prasada to the Lord.
- After the Katha, the Aarti is done, and the Prasada is distributed to the members present in the ceremony.
- On the day of Paush Purnima, ‘Pushyabhishek Yatra’ is celebrated in the temples of Lord Krishna all over India.
- Recitations of the Ramayana and the Bhagavad Gita are also organised on this day.
- Devotees must donate things and food to the poor on this day
- Under ‘Anna Daan’, free food is served in temples and ashrams to needy people all over India.
Paush Purnima Vrat Katha (Stories Related to Paush Purnima)
Mythology of Paush Purnima
According to mythological texts, there was a time when a demon named Durgam had spread terror on the Earth. Due to this, the rain stopped, and this situation lasted for a hundred years. Due to lack of rain, there was a shortage of food and water, and there was a severe drought, due to which people started dying. Life on Earth was beginning to end. The inaccessible demon had also stolen all the four Vedas of Brahma. Then Maa Durga incarnated as Maa Shakambhari Devi. Goddess Shakambari had a hundred eyes. Seeing the plight of the Earth, his tears started flowing, and in this way, the water flowed again on the whole Earth. After this, Maa Shakambhari put an end to Durgam.
Second story of Paush Purnima
According to another legend, Goddess Shakambhari did penance for 100 years and used to eat vegetarian food once at the end of the month. As a result of her penance, trees and plants had grown on their own in a lifeless place where there was no water for 100 years. From far and wide, sages and saints came there to see the miracle of the mother and were given vegetarian food. Since the mother used to take only vegetarian food, the name of the mother was Shakambhari Mata.
You May Like To Read: Shakambhari Purnima 2022
Mantras to Chant on the Paush Purnima
Mantras of Lord Surya:
- Om Ghrini Surya Aditya
- Om Hrim Hrim Suryay Sahastrakiranray Manovanchhit Falam Dehi Dehi Swaha
- Om Aihi Surya Sahastranshaon Tejo Rashe Jagatpatye,Anukampayama Bhaktya, Grihanarghai Divakar:
- Om Hrim Ghrini: Surya Aditya: Cleam Om
- Om Hrim Hrim Suryaya Namah
- Om Surya Namah.
- Om Ghrini Surya Namah.
Moon Darshan worship mantra: Om Kshirputray Vidmahe Amrit Tatvay Dheemahi, Tanno Chandra: Prachodayat.
This mantra should be chanted while offering Argha to the moon.
Shakambhari Mata Mantra
Invoke the blessing of Lord Surya by placing attuned Surya Yantra.
Paush Purnima is the opportunity to end your inner darkness, hence, use it to the fullest. May Suryadev be enchanted by your prayers and help you succeed in life.