The River Ganga is divine in India. She is also known as Jivdayini, the one who revives life and Papnashini, as well as the one who washes out our sins. Along the same line, Ganga Saptami is a Hindu festival that is celebrated to commemorate the rebirth of the River Ganga. This day is also known as Jahnu Saptami and Ganga Pujan.|
This day is the festival of worshipping the river Ganga at different places where it passes by. Ganga Saptami has great significance at Hindu pilgrimage places like Rishikesh in Uttarakhand, and Triveni Sangam at Prayagraj in Uttar Pradesh. Almost in the northern belt of the country, Ganga Saptami is celebrated with devotion and enthusiasm.
Ganga Saptami 2023 Date and Timings
The 7th day of the waxing moon in the month of Vaishakha is considered the auspicious day of Ganga Saptami
|Ganga Saptami||Date and Timing|
|Ganga Saptami Madhyahna Muhurat||Thursday, April 27, 2023|
|Duration||02 Hours 38 Mins|
|Saptami Tithi Begins||11:27 AM on Apr 26, 2023|
|Saptami Tithi Ends||01:38 PM on Apr 27, 2023|
Ganga Saptami Story
Hindu Mythology has many exciting stories about Gods, Goddesses and other mythological characters. River Ganga also holds a prominent place in Hindu mythology. River Ganga is mentioned in Padma Purana, Brahma Purana and Narada Purana. These Puranas talk about the story and the importance of Ganga Saptami, also known as Ganga Saptami ki Katha.
According to the holy scriptures of Hinduism, Ganga came down to earth from heaven. When she came down to the earth, that day is also known as Ganga Dussehra. River Ganga was flowing with full strength and destroying everything that appears on the path while coming down to earth. The water of Ganga reached the ashram of Rishi Jahnu. He got furious with the terrifying water of Ganga coming towards his ashram. He drank the entire water of the river in anger.
Later on, at the request of Saint turned King Bhagirath, Rishi Jahnu released Ganga. King Bhagirath wanted to bring Ganga to the earth for the salvation of his ancestors. This day is also known as Jahnu Saptami, as it falls on the Shukla Paksha Saptami of Vaishakha month. The rishi then considered Ganga as his daughter. He gave rebirth to Ganga by rereleasing her, and so Ganga got another name Jahnavi.
What secrets are hidden in your kundali? Get a free janampatri report to unveil.
Ganga Saptami Astrological Significance
Ganga Saptami also has a connection with Astrology as well. The Vedic Astrology suggests that worshipping Ganga on the day of Ganga Saptami is highly beneficial. If a person has a Mangal Dosha, Ganga Pujan on Ganga Saptami helps to diminish the effects of Mangal in his life. Even taking a bath in the river on this day allows people to get rid of their past wrongdoings.
Need a remedy for Mangal dosha? Book a personalised live Mangal Grah Shanti Puja.
Ganga Saptami is celebrated with all the rituals and customs at pilgrim destinations where Ganga flows or even her tributaries flow. Taking a dive in the river Ganga is also an easy path to reach Moksha or Salvation. The Ghats on the River Ganga are the ideal place to perform your ancestors’ last rites or passed away relatives. It gives peace to their soul.
Want to pay the debt of Pitru dosha in your horoscope? Get a Pitru Dosha Yantra from MyPandit Store.
Ganga Saptami Puja Vidhi
Ganga Saptami is celebrated by performing below mentioned Puja Vidhi:
- Devotees wake up early in the morning, even before the sun rises from the east and take a bath in the holy river Ganga.
- It is very important to purify your mind and body. Thus a dip in the Ganga is required to start the Puja Vidhi on Ganga Saptami.
- People offer flowers and perform Ganga Aarti along with others.
- The Aarti is performed to honour the mother Ganga for giving a new life to the humans by providing her freshwater.
- All the ghats around the river Ganga witness the Aarti performed by many devotees together.
- The Aarti is concluded with the lamp circulated in the crowd so that everyone can take the blessings of River Ganga.
- The Lamp also has flowers with it, which are, later on, allowed to float in the River.
- The Puja Vidhi also is celebrated by organising the holy fairs on the banks of the river Ganga.
- Devotees give donations to needy people.
- The best way to get the optimum benefits of Puja Vidhi on Ganga Saptami is to recite Ganga Sahasranam, the thousand names of River Ganga.
The blessings of River Ganga are always with you. Do you need such grace for your kundali? Talk to astrologers!
Ganga is honoured with the title of Devi, the Goddess, in Hinduism. The Day of Ganga Saptami is dedicated to River Ganga. The one who worships her with utmost devotion and takes a bath in the water reaches the path of Moksha or Salvation. May River Ganga bless all with prosperity and abundance.